Before I forget the recipe, here it is-
Crockpot Mexican Lasagna
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 cup frozen corn kernal
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1- 12 oz package corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 16 oz jar salsa
1. Heat oil in sauce pan and cook onions for 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Next, add ground turkey, cumin, salt and chili powder and cook until cooked through. Place aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk egg and sour cream together. Add turkey mixture, carrots, corn and cilantro and mix to combine. ++Next time I’m adding a can of black beans as well.++
3. Spread 1 cup of salsa on bottom of crock pot. Layer tortillas on top of salsa. Layer 1/2 of turkey mixture on top of tortillas and top with 1 cup salsa and 1/2 cup of cheese.
4. Add another layer of tortillas, remaining turkey mixture, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Finally top lasagna with another layer of tortillas, salsa and cheese.
5. Cook on low for 2.5-3 hours.
It was delicious- took a little more prep than I’d like, but definitely worth it. The only change I’d make is adding black beans to make it more Mexican-y.
Anyway, making Mexican lasagna wasn’t the only thing I did this weekend.
Saturday the fave and I ran a bunch of errands and bought him a ton of stuff. I was the perfect shopping companion…and then I found these at Marshalls (except in dark purple).
I tried them on this morning and they almost feel exactly like these:
And I am really excited about them. And my life must be terribly lame.
Sunday the fave and I drove up to DC to spend Easter Sunday with my parents and brother. We went to a beautiful old church in Old Town Alexandria and had a delicious brunch after. We walked around for a bit and enjoyed the beautiful weather with some Bloody Marys. Seems appropriate.
Clearly I am still in my “Kentucky just won the national championship” mode- hence the blue coat and purse. I’m not ready to stop talking or thinking about it just yet. Also- the rule is white pants after Easter, right? I might be wrong on that. Oh well.
I finally (a month and a week later) got my birthday gifts from my presents and my favorite strawberry shortcake birthday cake. I wish I had taken a picture but I was too busy shoving full fat cool whip and strawberry jelly stuff and some sort of angel food in my face.
This weekend was busier than I like… luckily I have an entire week off and hopefully will be sleeping past 7am half of the days.