Yesterday was one of my two-a-days for the week. Again, after the weekend I feel like a fat a$$ that needs to get to the gym pronto. So, I’m punishing myself (or rewarding… depending on how full your glass is) myself by doing at least 2 days of 2 workouts this week.
I got up early in the morning to meet my bff Dru at the gym for a quick 2.5 mile run before body pump. I’m the worst one in the class by far, but I like to think I’m getting better seeing as this was my third time in as many weeks. My problem is I always forget what weight I use on which body part exercise…and inevitably I always choose the heavier weight (I clearly think I’m stronger than I actually am) and am shaking like a freak by the end of each set. My shoulders were already burning and sore by the time I got home to shower. There goes washing hair.
In the afternoon I headed back to the gym to do a little more cardio- 30 minutes on the elliptical and another mile run, which was fairly painful after the lunges and squats. I stretched for a bit and foam rolled before doing some abs and heading home.
The fave got lucky because I tried a new recipe last night that was fantastic. While I was home this past weekend I stole all the recipes from Southern Living and am planning on some new meals in the next few weeks.
Honey Lime Chicken with Coconut- Black Bean Rice (changed slightly from original recipe)
- 1 can of light coconut milk (13.5 oz)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (recipe calls for long-grain… I don’t know the difference so this worked just fine)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- olive oil
- 1 can seasoned black beans (15.5 oz) rinsed and drained
- 1 chopped green pepper (recipe calls for red pepper)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Bring coconut milk and 1/2 tsp salt to a boil. Stir in rice and cover; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Whisk together honey and lime juice in a shallow bowl. Dip chicken into honey mixture and cook chicken in olive oil over medium high heat. When finished cooking, spoon rest of honey mixture over chicken.
(Recipe called to dredge chicken in crushed tortilla chips, however, when I tried they all fell off into the pan and then stuck to the bottom like little leaches because of the honey… so I wouldn’t recommend it.)
3. Add black beans, green pepper, and green onions to cooked rice. Serve with chicken and cilantro.
I was told that, “This is my new favorite meal.” I think he was just saying it to be nice, but it works. It was really good and incredibly healthy, so I was able to save room for some ice cream. I mean, if you can’t have any ice cream after working out twice in a day, when can you?
Thank goodness it’s Wednesday.
Any good plans for today?
Let’s see… we will still be reviewing math. ALLDAYLONGANDITWILLBESUPERFUN.